With spring in full swing, it’s safe to say that many of us are eager to get out and about. Luckily, London is jam-packed with various events and activities throughout May.
While Victoria Day weekend kicks off cottage season for many, London’s popular parks open along with numerous summer activities. Expect stores to be closed on May 21st for Victoria Day. However, restaurants, parks, museums, and theatres will remain open offering a variety of activities for all ages.
Check out these fun-filled events across the City of London this May:
- Wine, Dine, & Showtime on May 4 at the Western Fair District. The theme for this annual event is ‘Throwing Sexual Violence Overboard.’ Fight sexual violence with hosts Kim Woodbridge and Layne the Auctionista. The event begins at 5:30 pm and includes appetizers, dinner, a silent auction, games, music, and dancing. Tickets start at $70.
- The Old East Village Fitness and the London Brewing Co-operative join forces for a Brewery Bootcamp on May 6. It starts at 12 and is 45 minutes of exercise, followed by a well-earned cold brew. Get your tickets here.
- Looking for a family-friend event this weekend? The Famous Five: Canadian Women Who Fought For Seats in Parliament and the Senate takes place on May 6. It takes place at the Eldon House and includes 2 performances about the 5 Canadian Women who fought for the women’s right to vote. Educate your kids and take in a show!
- The Dueling Pianos Live at The Bull takes place this May 3rd. The show starts at 8 pm. The restaurant recommends making dinner reservations to guarantee yourself a table for this upbeat evening.
For more info on events taking place this weekend, check out https://www.londontourism.ca/.
May Music & Theatre:
- Bare Bear Bones runs May 3rd to 13th at the Main Stage Palace Theatre. It is a comedy featured around newly empty-nesters who attempt to reignite the spark in their marriage.
- The London Music Hall presents Michale Graves of The Misfits on May 14. The show starts at 7 pm. All ages are welcome.
- Sloan is featured on May 16 at the London Music Hall.
- Pennywise with Strung Out plays at the London Music Hall on May 21.
- The Grickle Grass Festival: Year Nine taking place on May 26 is a great event to check out for families and kids. Located at the Children’s Museum is a full-day event filled with music and art.
Other May Family Events & Activities:
- The Original Kids Theatre Company puts on a show entitled The Adventures of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi running from May 5th to 13. Only 90 minutes long, the tale involves a magical twist with cobras, monkeys, wolves, and crocodiles.
- The Grand Re-opening of the Elgin County Railway Museum is on May 12. Take the whole family and learn about the railway systems and its history in London.
- May Expo Explore happens on the third Monday of the month on May 16. The hour and a half event at the Museum London includes a full exhibit tour and arts and crafts.
- The Fanshawe Pioneer Village Opening Weekend is May 19 over the Victoria Day Weekend. On May 21st, Queen Victoria’s Birthday and Garden Party is held here and hosted by FM96 from 10 am to 4:30 pm. Cake and lemonade are served, and the annual plant and seed sale take place.
- Celebrate Mother’s Day early this year and treat your mom to MomME Time: A Day of Self-Care on May 6th. This event includes massages, facials, refreshments, meditation sessions, and more. Buy your tickets here, and give your mom some much-needed me-time.
Important City of London Public Events:
- A Project Updated Meeting Info Session happens on May 3rd regarding reconstruction near Cliftonvale Ave and Briscoe St W. This could be useful for families living in the area.
- Oakridge Skate Park – Community Open House Info Session is on May 9th and will discuss feedback about the proposed skate park in the Oakridge neighbourhood.
For more information on the City of London events, check out their website at https://www.london.ca/calendar.
Keep up to date with the latest happenings in London. Enjoy your May with plenty of activities and start the warm-weathered season off right!